Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sounds Like Home

Hello my beautiful people, welcome back!

Story time! Lets just get right into it shall we?

Growing up my house was always filled with beautiful sounds. From the dog barking at literally nothing, the dishwasher loudly making its hard work known, to the pipes rattling when someone flushed the toilet or took a shower, my childhood home was far from quiet. Add the fact that there was often four rambunctious kids running around and its amazing my poor parents even have some of their hearing and sanity left.

When you move out you don't realize how much you miss those little things. You have to get used to the new sounds and that takes some doing. The first night in our new house, I struggled to sleep and was convinced for a good month that we had a ghost that liked to use our toilet in the middle of the night.. (nope, not kidding.) However, I got used to it and now when people visit and ask what that sound is I have a hard time figuring out what they are talking about. Isn't that weird? We get comfortable and used to the natural moans and groans of the things around us, even the people. Maybe its us getting used to the idea of  this new place feeling like home instead of  just a house.

That being said, there are still some moments where you can tell something is missing.

For instance, my dad has played guitar for my entire existence. I was one of the lucky kids that got to experience an amazing musician first hand for my entire life. I got to be the ears that heard the first strums, working drafts, and final sets of masterpieces. I got to be front row to every living room concert, every kitchen jam, and every backyard gig. I got to star in renditions of songs we made up on our own and sing along to songs that had been around for years. I had the coolest childhood and whoever let me become an adult is totally fired. I miss those sounds every single day and its one of my favorite things about going home.

So I hope you start to notice those little sounds that are unique to your home. I hope you appreciate the memories you are making for your family. Because even if its just those annoying little creeks in the floor or your midnight pooping ghost, those sounds will stick with them for the rest of their lives..

And it will always remind them of home.

--Shlog










No comments:

Post a Comment