Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Dance of the Do-er

When I was six I entered into the amazing world of education.

 Oh yeah, buckle in folks its going to be one of those kind of stories.

I started kindergarten as everyone does: decked out in my barbie gear, hair perfectly ratted on top of my head with a gigantic bow, (shout out to the 80s-90s moms who did this to their poor children!) and my sweet Velcro strapped shoes. I remember clinging to mom begging her not to leave me with all these strange people but then I spotted the crayons and soon warmed up to my fellow snot monsters and life went on.

Kindergarten is an interesting time because you aren't really doing anything different than you did at home, you just have new people in charge of you and more people to share stuff with. Its like a test run to see if you can handle actual humans that don't share some DNA with you.

Luckily, for most of us, we make it past kindergarten and were shuttled right along into first grade.
Now, this is when the game changes on you. They throw this thing at you called homework, and you have to take it home and do it. WHAT IS THIS GARBAGE? They try to jazz it up with pictures and fun scenarios, but the actual work part is super annoying and leads most kids thinking: BRING BACK THE COLORING DAMMIT!

And from then on you become one of two people: "the do-er" or "the dancer".

The do-er is the kid that goes home with his homework that is supposed to take him an hour. He sits down with his glass of Sunny D and his homework takes him the predetermined hour.

The dancer is the kid that goes home with her homework that is supposed to take her an hour. She sits down with her glass of Sunny D, does one problem and then decides she wants a snack. She eats her snack and then sits down, does another problem and then decides that she needs some music because it "helps her focus". She then does another problem, and realizes that she forgot to take her shoes off. On her way back from taking her shoes off she decides that the current hit on the radio is just too dang catchy to not dance to, so she dances her butt off until the song is over. She then does another problem, and eventually its 8:00 and her homework has taken her 5 hours.

 Now, if you haven't already figure out which of the two you are, let me explain. Just like most things, there are gray areas. You can be both and some days you can switch back and forth between the two if you try hard enough. However, you will always present more strongly as a do-er or a dancer. [I'm a scientist so you can consider this scientifically proven ;)]

Me? Can you guess which one I am? :)

I have been the dancer my entire life. I have tried with all my might to force myself to be a do-er and its just never stuck. It would take me hours and hours to do my homework because I would dance my way through it.
Luckily for all of you, I haven't changed. Its now 11:58 as I write this and I am supposed to be in bed snuggled up to that guy I love some much, dreaming about normal ranges and critical values for the chemistry test I have to take tomorrow.
And I dance on..

The point is this, if you know how you are, own it.
I dance my way through stuff, but I eventually get it done right and on time, and in the end that is all that really matters.
Other people work better by powering their way through stuff and get it done fast, right, and on time and then they feel like they can dance.
 The important thing to remember is that its okay to do things on your own time because if we were all the same, the desks or dance floors would get really crowded.. and the only thing worse than sharing your crayons is not having enough space to dance.

--Shlog








No comments:

Post a Comment